Know About Tax Returns in Australia Before You Learn or Earn

Know About Tax Returns in Australia Before You Learn or Earn

If you are reaching or have reached your dream country, ‘Australia’ and living your ideal life as an international student you must be obviously very happy, ready to fly with your new wings of hope, learn about new cultures, and explore the unexplored streets near your university area.

You must also be having so many questions in your mind, right?

For instance,

  • How will you get your first job after completing your education? 
  • Do you need to lodge a tax return on your income as an international student? 
  • Will you be able to earn an income by working at the permissible hours while you are in Australia? 
  • Do you need to lodge a tax return as an international student in Australia
  • When do you apply for a tax refund in Australia?

All these questions are very natural to pop up, mainly because of the fact that these areas are yet to be explored by you in this new country.

Let’s Try to Explore These Topics Today in This Article:

First, let’s understand tax payments in Australia. As an international student with the right to work in Australia, you also have to pay taxes. The best part is that most overseas student’s in Australia is eligible to obtain a tax refund at the end of the year. You will still be required to pay tax on the money you earn while in Australia. Part-time employees who are on a student visa must pay an average income tax rate. This will, of course, rely on specific factors unique to you, such as whether or not you are treated as a resident or non-resident for tax purposes.

Now Let’s Understand Tax Returns in Australia:

Regardless of income received, everyone who works in Australia must file a return at fiscal year-end. Particularly international students with income generated in Australia are subject to this requirement. Make sure you keep your taxes clear by filing a return, which will be crucial when you apply for a future Australia visa.

Without filing a tax return, international students in Australia run the risk of being hit with fines and penalties from the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) as well as losing out on a tax refund, which maybe a sizable sum of money.

When You Should Apply for a Tax Refund?

Before you can claim an Australian tax refund, you must have lived in Australia for at least six months. Every year, the Australian financial year runs from July 1 to June 30. The deadline for filing tax returns and claiming tax back is October 31. Get extra time by lodging the return with a tax agent.

You will Need the Following to File Your Tax Return and Request a Tax Refund:

  • Tax file number – The tax and superannuation systems use your personal reference number to identify you. You must give this to your employer within the first 30 days to avoid emergency taxation.
  • Your final payslip is the most important element while lodging a tax return. 
  • Invoices for your uniform, professional training, tools, equipment, or vehicle. 
  • It’s a good idea to maintain your statements, receipts, or invoices with the course you enrolled in to support your primary work activities or were compelled to do so to advance your skills and knowledge at work because you could be eligible to deduct this expense on your return.

In general, you should maintain crucial records including contracts, invoices, receipts, and payment summaries for five years. Consulting a tax professional, with the following conditions helps you retrieve these documents if you misplace them.

Know About Tax Returns in Australia Before You Learn or Earn

You have Two Alternatives When It Comes to Filing Your Tax Returns:

  1. You can file your tax return without paying a charge directly with the Australian Taxation Office. 
  2. Consult a tax expert: You can get in touch with them directly to find out how much their services will cost. They will handle all the paperwork, send your full return directly to your bank account, and maintain your ATO compliance.


In Australia, employees can use the superannuation (super) system to save money that will replace their income in retirement. If you make more than $450 per month in Australia, your employer is required by law to contribute 9.5% of your basic salary to a superannuation fund on your behalf.

 If Any of the Following Apply to You:

Earn less than $450 per month, are under the age of 18, work fewer than 30 hours per week, are a non-resident being paid for work done outside of Australia, are a resident being paid by a non-resident employer for work done outside of Australia, or work 30 hours or less per week doing domestic or private work.

Make sure you meet the requirements for the application before completing the Departing Australia Superannuation Payment form.

So now study in Australia, earn well, pay your taxes on time and lodge your tax return without any doubts. Have a great life ahead and make your people proud.

Avatar photo
About Reeti Garg 187 Articles
Being outstanding in school and college for her academics and sports, little did she know that her passion for writing about unobserved people, stranded things and mysteries of the heart would lead her to become a professional writer later in life! An avid reader and a hardcore movie buff, her favorite past time is listening to music and writing poems. She is a published author and on her way to completing her second book ‘Under the Falling Stars’, a thriller on bisexuality. In this short span of 4 years of being a professional writer, she has been associated with many articles for renowned magazines and newspapers, blogs, short stories and poetries. Names associated with her writing skills are ‘Meri Sajni’, ‘Akinchan Bharat’, ‘Hamara Ghaziabad’, Aspiring to be famous and known as a soulful author one day, she would love to settle someday in the silent disquietedness of London countryside, where she plans to just sip coffee and keep writing trilogies.